Our client is an established insurance company who values itself on excellent customer service, is looking for an Commercial Lines Underwriter. The ideal candidate will have some insurance experience, or be a recent graduate who studied Risk Management, Insurance, and/or Finance. The ideal candidate has great communication skills, presentation skills, customer service, is tech-savvy, and a fast learner.
Underwrite new and renewal business, approve policy changes, maintain workload, and control written business up to and including the time of binding according to Company guidelines and established procedures. Provide high quality professional service to Agents and Companies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Underwrite new and renewal business.
- Meet or exceed production goals as assigned.
- Make approvals and disapprovals of endorsement requests according to internal and Company guidelines.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with clients.
- Monitor accounts to ensure compliance with the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Market all products and services to clients.
- Instruct support staff on the handling of cancellation and non-renewal notices according to statutory and Company requirements.
- Review and handle policy servicing requests (endorsement, audits, Company requests, Certificates, Premium Finance Notices and Cancellations, etc.) appropriately.
- Review inspection reports and compare to the conditions that were represented to us at the time of binding and take appropriate or needed actions.
- Maintain necessary licenses to produce business.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree or appropriate insurance designation.
- 1+ year of experience in insurance underwriting (specifically Commercial Lines).
- Must be able to understand and analyze necessary components of insurance policies.
- Ability to understand the client’s needs and have knowledge of the risk profiles associated.
- Recognize new trends and developments in the insurance industry and be able to incorporate into strategies.
- Must have some knowledge of Commercial multi-line underwriting and rating.
- Must have ability to use company automation to include Windows, Delphi, Word, DocuCorp, Rackley ISO Rating Software.
- Ability to develop, foster, and maintain an excellent working relationship with agencies.
- Exercise discretion in making decisions.
- Team playing skills.
- Maintain current knowledge of the insurance industry.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Ability to work extended hours when necessary.
- Normal environment; no unusual physical demands.